Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gokarna - life sucks ;)



Among some friends we have the running gag of stating "life sucks", when ever we live moments of sheer happiness stunned by the impressions invading our wits. Gokarna is definitely a place where one would like to stay for some time, in fact almost all the people I met there stayed way longer than they had planned to ;)
Back from Kumily I tried my luck to catch a fully overbooked night train with 3 hours delay and the whole Indian Railway reservation system out of order and succeeded!!! The TT (don´t know what that means, he is kind of the chief-ticket controller of the train) accepted my appliance ticket (this ticket gives you the opportunity to ask the TT for admission in the train if there is space). Having arrived at a train-station some 30 kilometers form Gokarna I wanted to find a way to get there without having to rely on very business oriented rickshaw drivers. Luckily a nice man observed me negotiating and offered to take me in his car almost the whole way. He turned out to be a hard working physician who built up his own clinic and has become very wealthy dedicating all his efforts to his business and family. I felt a bit strange sitting next to a men, who maybe takes half a day off per week and only occasionally takes some time off in order to visit his two grow up children at the towns where they study, while I have been traveling for 4 and a half months now, spending only a few days working and a few weeks doing courses. I guess it is impossible to determine, which way of living is better, I guess this depends entirely on the dreams, wishes, possibilities and priorities of each person.
How ever it seemed that it was my job to keep the conversation flowing while the doctor did the driving ;)

The first photos you seen actually show the bus stop, where the man dropped me. I had to smile about the Indian way once more, improvising and keeping things simple. How needs signs, as long as the people and the bus-driver know where to stop?

A rickshaw ride later and 24 hours of traveling I landed at Om-beach, a nice spot with only a few restaurants and palm leaf huts. The hut I rented did not have a floor, so the beach-feeling started right after getting out of bed ;)
So every mooring I got up like a champion to do my Yoga practice and go for a swim, spending the rest of the day reading, writing and exploring other beaches in walking- or at least hiking distance. Had it not been for a nice and (maybe a bit hyper-) active biologist from Alaska, I would have taken things a lot easier, but like this I discovered Gokarna-town and 3 more beaches… According to her the dog is the only species which co-evolves with humans and thus always wants to be near us. Indian street dogs are not very considered by the locals, but they don´t get mistreated either, so these dogs are much more relaxed and friendly than most of the over-breded dogs in Europe.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bro - tolle Schilderung. Was die Freundlichkeit von Hunden betrifft, werden dir wohl meine beiden Jackies das Gegenteil beweisen ;-). Hug, Lio-sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. bin schon gespannt auf deine Rabauken ;)

    ReplyDelete