Thursday, April 28, 2011

Amrizar - from gold to dust



As the end of this trip seems to be coming nearer in an accelerated manner I cut the time in front of the screen in order to inhale the some more breaths of the real India. Amrizar, the capital of Punjab certainly is a highlight of every Indian or visitor. The golden temple was found by the ethnical group called Sikhs, who are easy to recognize by there never cut hear and beards with their heads covered with different kinds of turbans according to their social and matrimonial status and not to forget their beautiful knifes hidden under their long, normally white shirts. Once more I got the feeling that I had entered the land of "1001 nights", observing majestic men and stunningly beautiful women walk along the lake surrounding the temple.
The Indians are demographically a very young people, so where ever you look you see babies and small children jumping around, playing, laughing and trying to get rid of their excess energy ;) It was breath taking with how much openness and friendliness the locals welcomed my travel maids and me. Many came to talk with with us with a sincerity and an interest which is hard to find. We ended up being photographed many times holding hands (in India this kind of physical contact forms part of the culture) with total strangers ;) With the perspective of my return home, I guess I will have to get used to the fact again, that in Europe it is not very popular among people if you look or smile at them openly without any apparent reason.
In golden temple more than 13000 people get fed per day for free by volunteer workers. Of course I wanted to experience this and was surprised to taste the best rice pudding, Dal Fry and Chapatis in a long time. Impressed by the friendliness and hospitality of the Sikhs towards what ever religion or ethnic group, I was tempted to stop cutting my hear and become one of them ;)))

No comments:

Post a Comment