Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rishikesh - Laxman Jhula



My swiss travel maid and I got of the train in Haridwar, found the bus-terminal ignoring all the miss-information by business-oriented taxi- and auto-rickshah-drivers. After a safe ride -- in India the traffic works based on the right of the stronger, buses and trucks are the kings of the road, followed by big cars, small cars, auto-rickshahs and motor-bikes. Bicycles and pedestrians basically have no rights and get honked of the street by the constant hooting and very close overtaking-maneuvers.
The northern part of the town called Laxman Jhula (bridge named after the god Laxman) welcomed us with an impressive view over the Ganges and a hanging pedestrian bridge shaken by heavy wind. In India "pedestrian" includes cows, apes and motorbikes, so you have to be careful when you cross ;)
After waking up my old friend Jan (who has been staying here for some weeks already), we had breakfast and went to have a bath in the Ganges, which is still clean up hear. We did the ritual the Hindus do - putting the head under water for 7 times, making a wish - and let us being blessed by the cold river. Finally I had the chance to clam down, arrive with all my wits and relax...


PS. I have changed the settings of the blog so that everybody should be able to post comments now. If you want to be notified when ever I published a new post, please click on the "follow" button on the top right. Finally I had the chance to uploaded some photos to give you a visual impression too ;)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Vlo, super pics und reports. Wünsche dir weiter eine spannende Zeit. LGL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sogar eine Travel-Maid! Nobel geht die Welt zugrunde. Liebe Gruesse an Jan.

    Reineldis hat grad getextet - sie ist gut in Melbourne angekommen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM JUST A BIT CONFUSED; IS IT A SWISS GUY OR A SWISS TRAVEL MAID????
    I decided to commend in English- it is a good practise for me and your friends around the world are able to understand, too.
    Big hug from LA
    Aiga

    ReplyDelete
  4. ;) ...not sure what you mean, the swiss guy is a swiss guy and the English girl could be my nice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naja, eine maid ist meist weiblich, ein mate maennlich.

    ReplyDelete