Friday, January 7, 2011

Kolkatta - Sylvester at the old capital



As I told you in my last post, I was pretty sure, I would come back to this city once more in order to explore it a bit more. Tired form the spiritual trip to Guwahati and Rampurhat I reached Kolkatta on the 31st and found a room at the rather trashy Paragorn Guesthouse. As I needed some more space to recover and feel comfortable I decided not to take one of the prison like single rooms but toke a double room with the bathroom some 30 meters away. You can imagine how often I walked this way back and forth only to brush my teeth ;)
Happy to be in the civilized world again -- which means internet, a mobil signal and the chance to wash my laundry -- I went to a rather funny internet cafe -- the owner was a very nice guy who even came to talk to some of my sisters and brothers in Australia over Skype, while outside there was already going on some kind of pre-sylvester party. So I spent some time talking to my siblings and friends before I went to my room in order to prepare myself for the new year. How ever exhaustion beamed me of into the astral world even before my head reached the pillow, so I did not "slip" over to 2011 as the Austrians would say, I slept over ;)
The next day the other guests and me became vitness of a tragic finding. A guy living a few doors next to mine died in the morning of the 1st of a drug overdose and left some people I met and me in doubt, if he would have had a chance of survival if the ambulance and police had taken less time to come. According to the Indian law no one except the police is allowed to legally break in a locked door, so the hotel staff did not open the door for more than an hour, which might have kept this young swiss from loosing his life in such an unnecessary and stupid way ;(

With Johanna and Kem, two very nice room neighbors I went once more to conquer this city which I believe is much more of a metropolis as Delhi. We entered the "Victoria Memorial" this time and strolled around the "Maiden" park watching people playing cricket. I got hit by a ball on my back head. Kem saw it, but hoped for some kind of miracle which would keep the ball from hitting me. Hard ball-on-head-training during my childhood saved me from any kind of injury ;)

We continued with visiting the flower market next to the Hoogly river, crossed the famous bridge and toke a ferry back. The next day we went by metro to the "Kali temple", a burning ghat next to it and strolled around a beautiful district in colonial style. The way back we toke a bicycle rickshah the three of us, so we chose a very strong guy who would be able to do that. So the days passed by until I had decided how to continue my journey and booked the tickets.

I will do a Yoga Teachers Training at the Sivananda Ashram near Neyar Dam (South India) for a month starting in 2 days? I am really looking forward to it, as this will give me a strong foundation for my Yoga practice and an international certificate which allows me to teach where ever on the planet. My intention is to move on with graphic design, but who knows, maybe I can combine the two or even found my own business one day ;)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the room was kind of stylish ) The little girl on the photo so cute ) Aaaand..too bad you´ve cut your hair, I really like this "chevelure" on you ;)))

    ReplyDelete